Easy Squash Casserole: Classic southern comfort food, perfect for the holidays or a delicious weeknight meal!
Today I’m sharing the original recipe for my all time favorite holiday side dish. Growing up, this savory, cheesy casserole was part of every Christmas dinner, and many Thanksgivings too. With squash, herb seasoned bread, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and more, this casserole is full of delicious goodness.
If you’ve followed my blog, you may know that I developed gluten intolerance in 2015. The recipe that I’m sharing today is not gluten-free, but if you’re looking for a gluten-free version of this recipe you’re in luck!
Last year I created a gluten-free recipe that is every bit as delicious as the original. You can find the gluten-free version at www.allshecooks.com where my Gluten-Free Squash Casserole recipe is featured as a guest post!
- 2 lbs yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 6 carrots)
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (10.5 oz)
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz cheddar
- 1 (14 oz) bag herb seasoned stuffing mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thinly slice squash and cook over medium heat in a large, covered pan until tender and liquid is released.
- Mix cream of chicken soup and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Add carrots and squash, including the liquid released during cooking. (See note below.)
- Mix in shredded cheddar and stuffing mix.
- Spread mixture in prepared 9x13 casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until bubbly.
What is your favorite holiday side dish?