Healthy and Inexpensive
I love oats. They’re heart healthy, and inexpensive. There’s something so comforting about a warm bowl of banana oatmeal in the morning. Unfortunately, my toddler and husband don’t agree. Neither one are a fan of the texture of traditional oatmeal, but oats are always in our pantry.
This recipe was born out of a desire for an oat bar that was every bit as healthy as a bowl of oatmeal. That’s why these bars aren’t loaded with sugar or oil. Just simple oats, banana, peanut butter, jelly (or substitute honey), and a few spices.
Easy Prep + Grab and Go
This recipe is so easy to make. Throw everything into a bowl, give it a stir, spread in a dish and throw it in the oven. Then, enjoy these soft and lightly sweet bars as a healthy breakfast or snack. These bars are a great alternative to a bowl of oatmeal when you’re on the go!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups oats
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup jelly, jam, preserves or substitute honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 packets of Truvia or 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mash the bananas with a potato masher or fork in large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix together until ingredients are well combined.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cut into bars.
Love oats but looking for something a little sweeter?
These delicious cookies are full of heart healthy oats: