Sweet Potato and Kale Stew: With smokey cumin, garlic, clove, and a slightly sweet honey peanut broth, this healthy soup is irresistible!
One Pot, 30 Minutes
I promised it was coming. Last month I shared the Instant Pot version of this recipe (see this post), with a promise to share the original stove top version later. Here it is, the original stove top recipe that my family has been enjoying for years! While the Instant Pot recipe is wonderful if you want to set it and walk away, the original recipe is a quick and easy one-pot, 30-minute meal.
Healthy Comfort Food
Kale, sweet potato, carrots and garlic in a lightly sweet, flavorful, honey peanut broth. Need I say more? Ladle up a bowl of comfort with this healthy, low-calorie stew that also happens to be gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian.
Stove Top, One-Pot Deliciousness
This one pot meal starts with sauteing garlic and ginger in olive oil, before adding clove, cayenne and cumin. Stir until your house smells amazing. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 or so minutes until the sweet potatoes and carrots are tender. Serve as is, or over rice and enjoy. It’s that easy!
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 4 TBS minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp clove
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (see note)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- 2 TBS honey
- 6 cups of kale (chopped)
- Cut sweet potatoes into ½ inch cubes (see note), dice carrots and chop kale, removing large stems. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in large pot.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add clove, salt, cayenne and cumin. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until spices are fragrant- about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer over low heat.
- Cook until sweet potatoes and carrots are tender- approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or enjoy as is!
*Use cayenne to taste. We love to add 1 tsp, but it can be omitted completely for those who don't like any heat.
What’s your favorite stew recipe?